Disability Huntingdonshire

0330 3553 256            info@dish.org.uk


Get help


We support people of all ages to access these benefits:


Personal Independence Payments


Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is money for people who have extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of a disability. PIP is replacing Disability Living Allowance for people aged 16-64.


Employment Support Allowance


Employment and Support Allowance is money for people who have limited capability for work because of their sickness or disability but do not get Statutory Sick Pay. There are two types: income-related Employment and Support Allowance and contributory Employment and Support Allowance


Disability Living Allowance


Disability Living Allowance can only be claimed for children aged under 16, it has been abolished for all Disability Living Allowance is money for children who have care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around).


Disability Living Allowance has two parts called 'components':

  • a care component - if you need help looking after yourself or supervision to keep safe.
  • a mobility component - if you can't walk or need help getting around. For the low rate mobility component they must be aged over five, and for the high rate mobility component they must be aged over three.

Some people will be entitled to get just one component; others may get both.


Attendance Allowance


Attendance Allowance is money for people aged 65 or over who have care needs. You may have care needs if you need help with activities of daily living such as getting dressed, going to the toilet or having someone to look after your so you do not hurt yourself.


It could include help outside the home. It does not matter if no one actually gives this help, as long as you can show you need it.


You can have any type of disability or illness, including sight or hearing impairments, or mental health issues such as dementia.


Attendance Allowance does not cover mobility needs.


To claim Attendance Allowance you must have needed help with your care needs for at least 6 months. (If you’re terminally ill you can make a claim straight away.)


Please be aware Disability Huntingdonshire cannot support any person with Housing Issues. That is not the remit of Disability Huntingdonshire. Please seek advice from your local Citizens advice Bureau or your Local Authority Housing Office.